Everything that you need to know about shipping a car from the U.S. to Canada
Do you wish to ship your car from the United States to Canada? Have you wondering what’s involved in the process? At US Canada Auto Transport, we pride ourselves in being one of the best vehicle shipping companies that can be found in North America. Our company has been around since 1983, and we are here to answer all your questions. Here are a few vehicle shipping tips for those wishing to ship their vehicles from the U.S to Canada;
- The first thing that you need to know when shipping a car from the United States to Canada is that there are certain customs requirements that you are going to have to fulfill. A number of agencies in Canada are responsible for regulating the importation of vehicles, making the process rather cumbersome. It’s definitely a process that you can go through on your own, but believe us, you are going to with you hadn’t, at the end of the day. Most people prefer to hire the services of professionals to do the hard work on their behalf. If that is what you prefer, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us today to get a quick quote!
- Agencies that you are going to have to deal with when importing a vehicle to Canada are; the Canada Border Services Agency, Transport Canada, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, the U.S Customs Border Protection and the Environment and Climate Change Canada.
- Another of the vehicle shipping tips for those wishing to transport their cars from the U.S to Canada is that they need to check with these agencies to make sure that their vehicle meets the requirements by these agencies for admissibility into Canada.
- Your vehicle also needs to be on Transport Canada’s list of vehicles that can be admitted into Canada.
- Another thing to note is that any vehicle needs to pass an inspection by the Registrar or Imported Vehicles before it can be imported into Canada.
- You need to submit a 72 hour notice, including an AES filing, to the United States Customs before you can export your vehicle.
Documentation when shipping a vehicle to Canada
Importing a vehicle from the United States into Canada is, clearly, not for the fainthearted! Again, we recommend that you get in touch with us so we can lighten the burden by pointing you in the right direction. In terms of documentation, the following is what you are going to require in order to import a vehicle into Canada from the United States;
- Original Title, a Certificate of Origin or a Manufacturer’s Statement.
- An original Bill of Sale.
- A recall clearance letter.
- A statement of compliance from the vehicle’s manufacturer (should be attached to the vehicle).
- An EPA label. Again, this should be attached to the vehicle.
Automated Export System (AES)
Another of the important vehicle shipping tips for the United States and Canada is that you need to file an Automated Export System (AES) with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection. The AES can be filed by freight forwarders, customs brokers or Unite States Principal Party in Interest (USPPI).
How much does it cost to import a vehicle to Canada from the United States?
This is something that most people are interested in. The following are some of the charges that you can expect to pay when importing a vehicle from the United States to Canada;
- You will have to pay 6.1% duty if your vehicle was manufactured outside of North America. An exception to this is if your vehicle or motorcycle is over 25 years old.
- 5% GST.
- $100.00 excise tax paid for in dash air con.
- $1000-$4000 green levy tax. This applies for some models from 2007 to date and is based on your vehicle’s fuel consumption and date of service. This list contains some of the vehicles that are subject to this tax.
- $195 +GST collected by the Registrar of Imported Vehicles on behalf of Transport Canada. This applies for vehicles that have less than 15 years.
What happens when your vehicle gets to Canada?
When you vehicle gets to Canada, you will have to undergo either a provincial or federal inspection carried out within a period of 45 days. That, in any case, is a rough outline of what you need to go through in order to export a vehicle from the United States to Canada. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us, and we will be very happy to answer them! As already mentioned, the process can be rather involved, and we would be very happy to help you along the way. And when it comes to the issue of shipment, nobody does it better than the US Canada Auto Transport company! So, get in touch with us today or visit our website for an instant quote for the shipment of your car to Canada from the U.S!